Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fireworks for Firefly? No thank you....



I understand completely that the 4th of July is an important human holiday, but why do they explode smelly, smoky, and scary devices??

On my afternoon walk today, mommy and I were walking peacefully. I really like the way the wind tousled my fur and the sun warmed my body. It made me feel confident to walk safely in my neighborhood.

Mommy had my harness strapped onto me, it is my favorite one, the purple one. She had my matching purple nylon lead too. I felt excited about getting out and shedding off some energy.

I had been getting bored recently, because mom hadn't had time to walk since getting the new puppy who can't go places because she doesn't have all her "shots". Apparently I have mine. So finally we slipped away to enjoy some quality time together. Just like it should be... Siren is my baby sister, but I must say waking me up early from my beauty sleep isn't a good idea.
But back to the walk........



We had already walked 1 mile and 1/2 when I saw a pair of teenage boys inside their garden behind their fence. Mommy has known one of them since she was a baby, but the other wasn't familiar. I don't really like Robert, the boy mommy knows, but I ignored him, enjoying my afternoon.

Mommy and I were approaching his house when all off a sudden.....

"CRACK, POP, CRACK, BOOM, CRACK, POP, POP!"

Something scary split through the sky terrifying me! I tried to bolt, but mommy had been prepared and kept a fierce grip on my lead. My heart started pounding, and it pounded even faster when we walked by his house. Mom turned where we normally turn to finish a lap, and started on our 2nd mile when a clash and chorus of,

"BANG, BANG, BANG, POP, BANG,POP, POP"!

I leaped and tried to dash ahead of mommy, tugging disparately against my lead.

My mom tried to console me..

"Firefly, it is okay. They are just fireworks..."

Fireworks? What in the Bark are fireworks?

The smoky smell burned my nose and made my eyes water, but mom hurried us on and we finished our second mile.

Approaching the road to home, I heard the familiar bangs and pops, and anxiously tried to drag mom home..

Finally we got to the safety and quiet of the house.


THANK DOG...


I still don't understand why those boys were lighting fireworks. According to mom they are early. It isn't the 4th of July.


Mom told me not to worry. When the 4th came, I wouldn't have to listen to the dreadful noises.


No comments: